Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

About the Obama Advertisement

I just wonder when Americans will get tired of the dog and the flag as arguments for a good presidency. The Obama advertisement does not even figure that many people, not even that  many diverse people despite of an obvious effort, and barely echoes the questions that this presidency might raise among citizens. The most, and to my opinion only, intelligent part of the advertisement was the comment saying "I don't necessarily agree with everything he does but I trust him". I felt like this was almost a scared, way too careful, way too hesitant advertisement of someone who does not dare to address the real questions about his presidency and to really answer as to why he should be elected again when we could almost say that in 4 years he has not fulfilled any of his promises. To me the attempt that he makes at representing America, the dog and the hesitant broadness of characters in his ad, are not sufficient to make me "trust" the president for a second term. Blame my "Europeanness" but it takes more than a dog and a flag to convince me.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that political ads in general should be more than just dogs and flags but I also think it would be far too risky to tackle the serious issues in the first ad. Hopefully we can expect them to address issues in later ads...hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really disliked the ad, but I agree te that it might have been a politically savy move to leave out the substantive issues in the first ad. However that line, "I don't necessarily agree with everything he does, but i trust him," I think is a little terrifying. WHY do you trust him, is the more pressing question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disagreed. We should trust him because he is a smart, pragmatic, intelligent person, with a proven track-record. He saved the American economy from a free fall in 2009, proven himself again and again in terms of foreign diplomacy, and has no mistakes to speak of. The real question is, why don't you trust him? It doesn't mean one shouldn't scrutinize one's leader, or keep him on track. But if one had to "trust" someone to be the leader of one's country, wouldn't you much rather have an intelligent Harvard educated pragmatic thinker than a gun-toting alaskan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the presidential race were in fact between an intelligent Harvard educated pragmatic thinker and a gun-toting alaskan, then yes i think most would agree with you that we'd prefer the Harvard graduate. however, the election involves more candidates than this, and I'd wager that people on the republican side are also intelligent smart and pragmatic. thus, i think Obama's ads should include more than dogs and flags, because chances are the person he'll end up running against will also be pro dogs and american flags.

    ReplyDelete